Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why not me?

I have spent a lot of time these past few months asking the question, "Why me?".  But I think I have realized recently that everyone asks that question.  Why not me?  I have to remember that I'm not special or immune to bad stuff.  Something that helps me through a lot of tough times is remembering that bad stuff happens to good people. 

For those of you that don't know me, here's the story.  My husband, I'll call him "K", suffered a ruptured aneurysm in his brain, and a stroke following the craniotomy to repair the bleed.  It was a left side stroke that left his speech impaired.  He has what's called Wernicke's aphasia, which really means difficulty saying nouns.  Otherwise, physically, he is fine, with the exception of occasional  side effects from his anti-seizure medication.  Without going into all the details (mostly because I'm trying to move on), as you can imagine this has changed our lives.  We as a family, my husband, daughter, son, and myself, have been affected in many different ways, of which I'm sure I'll write about every now and then.

So now, like I mentioned, I'm just trying to move on.  I realize that we can never go back to B.S. (Before Stroke), but we can work on creating a new "normal" for our family.  So why not me?  I am strong and mostly optimistic about my future.  I love my family, and our life together.  I have so much to be grateful for, and I hope to point that out regularly so I can move forward and not whine too much about the past.  I plan on using this blog as kind of a "gratitude" journal.  Today I am grateful for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment